The exact origins of this premium sandwich are uncertain but this American original has gained in popularity in Europe; we’ve found variations of it from London to Athens, Rome to Vienna. What separates a club sandwich from the pedestrian variety is that it is served on toasted bread. Yet toasting your bread does not a club sandwich make. No, it contains three slices of pullman bread instead of two. Between those layers, you can expect the traditional ingredients of turkey, bacon, lettuce and tomato. You might call it a fancy B.L.T.
You can turn a boring lunch of sandwiches into a proper meal when you make this. Here at Cerines, we substitute grilled chicken breast seasoned with lots of lemon juice instead of turkey. The pork here in Cyprus is a little-known secret off-island, so it’s no doubt that the bacon here is amazing, too. Due to its several growing seasons here in Cyprus, tomatoes are absolutely wonderful. With just these two ingredients, you have the necessary components of salty and juicy to make a great club sandwich.
What makes a B.L.T. so great is texture: crispy, crunchy and juicy are its hallmarks. With the club, you’re adding meat which, together with the salty bacon, is a perfect combination. Our version of the club sandwich expounds on this variety of flavor and texture: we add in flavorful Pickled Eggs and slices of creamy avocado. Use the best mayonnaise you can buy or make your own; it unites all of these flavors, so it’s important you make sure it’s very fresh.
Cerines Club Sandwich
Prepare ingredients and lay out on a platter before you begin:
4 chicken breasts, grilled and finished with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice, sliced open.
12 slices of bacon
3 large tomatoes, cut into thick slices (you’ll need about 2-3 slices per sandwich)
12 lettuce leaves, rinsed and slightly dried
4 boiled eggs, sliced (you’ll need about 3-4 slices per sandwich)
2 medium avocado, peeled and sliced thin (you’ll need about 4 slices per sandwich)
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
1. Toast bread quickly and evenly.
2. As soon as the bread comes out the toaster, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise with an off-set spatula on one side of the bread slices.
3. Cover with lettuce.
4. Place two tomato slices on top.
5. Lay chicken pieces flat.
6. Cover with a slice of bread, mayonnaise-side down. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top side of the slice.
7. Cover with lettuce.
8. Lay out evenly the avocado slices
9. Lay out evenly the egg slices
10. Lay out evenly the onion slices
11. Cover with the third slice of bread.
12. Sink four skewers into four points of the sandwich in a diamond pattern.
13. Cut the sandwich with a bread knife into an X, so that the skewers are in the center of each piece.